Thursday, July 7, 2011

'tis the Riesling

I'll openly admit that I am a seasonal wine drinker most of the time. Seasonal for me means full-bodied wines with full-bodied meals in the winter, light and refreshing wines with light and refreshing meals in the warmer months. So, during what appear to become the hottest days of this year in Germany, out comes the young and shiny Riesling.

Today was the time for an especially splendid number from an estate named Altenkirch in the Rheingau district (for the non-drinkers reading this post: this is one of the many prestigous wine districts in Germany). Their Riesling "Grauschiefer" (meaning grey slate, the soil the wine is raised on) vintage 2009 is everything a good Riesling should be: Fresh, shiny, with a clear hint of fruit and noticeable body without any creaminess. Don't let the modest nose fault you — this is truly a great wine which is not afraid to hide the terroir it is grown on and its specific character. Get your bottles now before they are all gone. Personally, I am ordering my stock for the next years as I am typing this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment